Monday, September 12, 2011

Anti-Obama Song Gets Coach Fired

A middle school football coach and the parent of one of his students wrote a lively country western song satirizing the President and posted it on YouTube.  Afterward he was fired.  I have included, below, the story which appeared in the Fox New Radio Blog and the YouTube video of the song.  Check them out.
COACH FIRED OVER ANTI-OBAMA SONG?
by Todd Starns

A Tennessee middle school football coach said he got fired after he wrote a song that criticized President Obama.

Bryan Glover, an assistant coach at Grassland Middle School near Nashville, co-wrote the country music song, “When You’re Holding a Hammer, Everything Looks Like a Nail.”

It was co-written by a parent who has a child on the team. Glover, 26, said he emailed a copy of the song to friends, family members and player’s parents through his personal email account.

And that’s when all the trouble started for the self-described independent conservative.

“The coach called me and said parents were upset – that I was being politically incorrect and the song had racial overtones,” Glover told FOX News Radio. “An hour and a half later I was told I was being terminated.”

“I was informed that I was being let go because of the song,” he said, denying claims there were any racial overtones in the song.

Williamson County School Superintendent Mike Looney disputed Glover’s account and said his dismissal had nothing to do with the song.

“Absolutely not,” he told FOX News Radio. “That’s a false claim.”

Looney said he was not allowed to go into specifics but acknowledged he spoke with the school’s principal and was satisfied with their handling of the matter.

“They presented me with logical, legally defensible reasons for doing so,” Looney said. “As far as I’m concerned they’ve handled the matter appropriately.”

Glover said he’s angry over what happened and believes he lost his job because his song was critical of President Obama. And he’s not the only one.

“It was a disgrace and we have to stand up for the guy,” said Michael Katsaitis, who has a son on the football team. He said he met with the principal of the school after Glover’s firing and is convinced his dismissal was a result of the song.”

“The first thing she told me was that Bryan’s song was derogatory to our president,” he said. “He shouldn’t have fired over that song.”

Glover said he is seeking legal counsel and may consider a lawsuit against the school.

“First and foremost I’m a conservative,” he said. “I do support what the tea party movement is all about but I’m more Republican than Democrat. I’m an independent conservative who thinks the government tries to have their hand in way too many things.”

“I’m pretty heated,” he said. “I’m just a blue-collar guy, trying to make a living, trying to chase a dream.”
Check out this clever country western song below.


[My thanks to Jennie Montoya for forwarding this]

No comments: